With similar names, and a shared ambition to support vulnerable children, we're often asked at SOS Children if we have any connection to Children in Need. Here we look at how Children in Need and SOS Children are similar, and also how each charity is unique.
What are the charities' visions?
- Children in Need’s vision is that every child in the UK has a childhood which is safe, happy and secure, and allows them the chance to reach their potential.
- At SOS Children we wholeheartedly support these aims, and giving children a happy, healthy and safe childhood is central to all of our work. Our vision is “a loving home for every child”.
What does each charity do?
- Children in Need doesn't run its own programmes, but instead awards grants to small and large organisations which support disadvantaged children and young people in the United Kingdom. Grants are given to projects that empower children in the UK and expand their opportunities.
- SOS Children is a global charity with projects in 125 countries. Our work centres on vulnerable children who have lost parental care or are at risk of doing so. Firstly, we support fragile families to stay together and be self-reliant, which helps to prevent family breakdown and child abandonment. Secondly, when a child cannot live with their parents, for example if they have been orphaned or abandoned, we welcome them into a new family home in an SOS Children’s Village. Here each child belongs to a family and community, is lovingly cared for by an SOS mother, grows up with SOS brothers and sisters, and receives quality education and healthcare until adulthood.
Where does your money go?
Here’s where these two children’s charities are very similar. Both charities ensure that every penny you give will make a real difference to a child’s life.
- Children in Need says that “every penny from the money you raise or donate will go towards helping disadvantaged children and young people”.
- At SOS Children, we’re proud to say that if you sponsor a child with us, 100% of your sponsorship will be used for the care of children. We can promise this because our admin costs are met by other income, such as UK government gift aid.
Essential work made possible by ordinary people
Children in Need and SOS Children are separate charities, only connected by shared hopes for vulnerable young people. While Children in Need works only in the UK, SOS Children works works across the world. While Children in Need focuses broadly on disadvantaged children and young people, SOS Children focuses on children who have lost parental care or are at risk of doing so.
Both of these charities change the lives of children, and both rely upon the generosity of ordinary people who share a belief that every child deserves to grow up feeling happy, secure and with a bright future.
You can help a child in need. Sponsor today and give a vulnerable child a loving family home.