Warm greetings from SOS Children’s Village Chennai. It is our great pleasure to thank you for your valuable support for the cause of children. With a feeling of deep joy and pride we take the opportunity to inform you that the children are very happy. Given below is a report on the recent developments in the village during the last 6 months of 2011.
Presently we have 188 children under our support. 142 children are residing in the Village in 14 family homes, while 46 youngsters are in SOS youth home. Out of these, 104 children are school going, 13 children are attending Professional/vocational courses and 10 are pursuing university degree courses 15 are attending apprenticeship training.
SOS Primary school has 106 children on its rolls. 52 are from SOS Village and 54 from neighbourhood community. The pattern of education is through Montessori system and ABL (Activity Based Learning) method.
Two boys and one girl got married this year and the marriage was held in a very grand manner according to the local custom and tradition.
Family Strengthening Programme
To prevent abandonment of children of single mothers, SOS Children has a scheme to support them. At present 301 children of 147 mothers are being supported under the Family Strengthening Programme. Various orientation, workshops and awareness programmes on social issues have been organized to enhance their capacity building to make them self sufficient and self reliant. This year one more new Self Help Group was formed by the Family Strengthening Programme mothers and it was named ‘Subiksham’. The following are the highlights of this village for this year:
- Medical check up was done to all families (children and mothers)
- 5 children participated in Summer camp along with Village children
- Awareness sessions conducted on:
- ‘Aids – HIV’ by Asst. Director of Tamil Nadu Aids Control society
- ‘Swine Flu – A h1 i1'
- Mediclaim policy for Family Strengthening Programme families were made
- Skills development workshop for mothers in making of phenol and other domestic cleaning materials
- Workshop for mothers on gender sensitization and welfare schemes for domestic workers
Thanking you and with all good wishes,
S. Nambi Varatharajan