We met Irene (12), Chriso (11), Neema (12) and David (11). They told us how Christmas is usually celebrated at their Village. They also gave us their Christmas agenda.
What is the meaning of Christmas?
- Christmas is the day Jesus Christ was born
- Christmas means the day Jesus Christ was born
- Christmas means the birth of Jesus Christ
- Christmas is the birth of Jesus Christ. It is a fete
What does Christmas Day look like at SOS Children's Village Uvira?
- All the children gather at the multi-purpose hall of the Village. We prepare games that we play in front of our SOS mothers, the Village Director and several guests. We eat a great festive meal which is different from what we have every day. We wear new clothes. The ceremony is always filmed and photos are taken.
- All the children, the SOS mothers, the aunts (SOS family helpers) and the educational staff gather at the multi-purpose hall where we showcase various things such as drama, dance, competitions…and we eat together.
- We gather at the multi-purpose hall of the Village. We recite poems; we dance to modern and traditional music. Supplementary presents are sometimes handed to the children who worked very well at school. The party is always filmed and photos are taken.
- We present drama, poems and various games on Christmas. We take part in the church service. We eat together at the multi-purpose hall and we wear our new clothes.
What will you do on Christmas Day?
- I will sing a song that we are already learning with all the children at home.
- I will perform a drama on the day Jesus was born with my siblings at the family house and it will be staged in front of the SOS mothers and the invited guests at the multi-purpose hall.
- On Christmas, I will sing alone and recite a poem solo.
- On Christmas, I will recite a poem solo and perform a sketch with my brothers and sisters and children from our neighbouring house.
What do you like most about Christmas?
- What I like most about Christmas is what we eat and how we dance together. I also like it when the Village director speaks to us, wishing us Merry Christmas. He always uses simple and lovely words everybody can understand. He always gives life to the party.
- What I like most about Christmas is the games and the presents Father Christmas offers to the children.
- On Christmas, I like poems and sketches on the birth of Jesus Christ and all the activities surround the feast.
- What I like most about Christmas is that we are wearing new clothes and new shoes. I also like Christmas because we eat food we do not have every day.
What is your Christmas message to other children?
- I wish Merry Christmas to all the children worldwide.
- I wish Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all the children worldwide
- I wish Merry Christmas to all the children and I hope they will have a good feast
- I wish that all the children get well-prepared for Christmas. I wish that through Jesus Christ, all the children learn to avoid sin and live a pure life.
If you would like to help a child have the chance of a family life and a happy childhood why not sponsor a child this Christmas?